|Engine Type||Four stroke flat twin engine, double overhead camshaft, one balance shaft|
|Bore and Stroke||101 mm x 73 mm|
|Compression Ratio||12.5 : 1|
|Front Suspension||BMW Motorrad Telelever; stanchion diameter 37 mm, central spring strut|
|Front Brakes||Dual floating discs, diameter 305 mm, 4-piston radial calipers|
|Front Tire||120/70 R 19|
|Rear Suspension||Cast aluminum single-sided swing arm with BMW Motorrad Paralever; WAD strut (travel-related damping), spring pre-load hydraulically adjustable (continuously variable) via handwheel, rebound damping adjustable via handwheel|
|Rear Brakes||Single disc, diameter 276 mm, double-piston floating caliper|
|Rear Tire||170/60 R 17|
|Dry Weight||Curb Weight: 525 lb. (238 kg)|
|Fuel Capacity||5.3 gal.|
|Wheelbase||59.3 in. (1.507 mm)|
|MPG||57 mpg at a constant 56 mph (4.1 L)|
|Seat Height||33.5 / 34.3 in.; Low Seat: 32.3 / 33.1 in.; Lowered Suspension: 31.1 / 31.9 in.|
|Trail||3.9 in. (99.6 mm)|
|Transmission||Constant mesh 6-speed gearbox with helical gear teeth|
|Final Drive||Shaft drive|
|Colors||Alpine White, Racing Red, Blue Fire, Thunder Grey Metallic|
One R 1200 GS. One Mission – The best GS of all times.
The BMW R 1200 GS – the icon of all travel enduros. For 32 years “the GS” has been defining its segment and has proven to be the trusty companion on any motorcycle adventure. BMW Motorrad is now embarking on a new chapter of its success story and is yet again perfecting the iconic R 1200 GS.
One R 1200 GS. One Feeling – Power in every situation.
Powerful, refined, and high revving. The R 1200 GS is powered by a new opposed twin engine design delivering 125 hp. Based on a new concept of combined air and liquid cooling and vertical flows through the cylinders, the engine operates efficiently, reliably, and with high torques at all times. Further improvements like the new wet clutch with antihopping feature, the electromotive throttle actuator E-Gas, and the optional “riding modes” make the opposed twin engine the perfect drive solution at the heart of the new R 1200 GS.
One R 1200 GS. One Emotion – Supreme control
The new R 1200 GS is ready for any terrain, thanks to the greater rigidity of its main frame and its enhanced Paralever and Telelever for even greater enduro steering accuracy. The optional Dynamic ESA configures the suspension automatically to the terrain and load conditions. The GS provides even more functions with the optional “riding modes”, a set of four different configurations that can be selected at the push of a button.
One R 1200 GS. One Impression – Strong individuality.
At first glance, the “new one” too is a genuine GS: robust, dynamic, and full of character. New body panels with a perfect finish underscore its high quality character. The new cooling concept was integrated seamlessly into the distinctive design, and the visual emphasis moved to the front. The new R 1200 GS now gives the impression of more balance and power. Thanks to its extensive range of options, the R 1200 GS is absolutely unique. With an innovative, unique LED headlamp, cross spoke wheels, and a wide choice of options and packages, everyone can convert this enduro into “his” or "her" GS.
One World. One R 1200 GS – The tour of your life.
At the launch of the new R 1200 GS, BMW Motorrad will be setting a unique test ride in motion. In the “One World. One R 1200 GS.” event, BMW Motorrad will be sending five enduro adventurers on the redefined icon R 1200 GS on five tours all around the world. The first of its kind in the world, this project will be putting “the new one” to a gruelling test – and, with a little luck, give you too the opportunity for the tour of your life.
- Type: Air/liquid-cooled four stroke flat twin engine, double overhead camshaft, one balance shaft
- Bore x stroke: 101 mm x 73 mm
- Capacity: 1,170 cc
- Rated output: 92 kW (125 hp) at 7,750 rpm
- Max. torque: 92 lb.-ft (125 Nm) at 6,500 rpm
- Compression ratio: 12.5 : 1
- Mixture control / engine management: Electronic intake pipe injection / BMS-K+ digital engine management with electromotive throttle actuator
- Emission control: Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, emission standard EU-3
- Maximum speed: Over 200 km/h
- Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 90 km/h: 57 mpg at a constant 56 mph (4.1 L)
- Fuel type: Premium Unleaded
- Alternator: Three-phase alternator 580 W (nominal power)
- Battery: 12 V / 11.8 Ah, maintenance-free
- Clutch: Oil lubricated clutch, hydraulically operated
- Gearbox: Constant mesh 6-speed gearbox with helical gear teeth
- Drive: Shaft drive
- Frame: Two-section frame, bolted on rear frame, load-bearing engine
- Front wheel location / suspension: BMW Motorrad Telelever; stanchion diameter 37 mm, central spring strut
- Rear wheel location / suspension: Cast aluminum single-sided swing arm with BMW Motorrad Paralever; WAD strut (travel-related damping), spring pre-load hydraulically adjustable (continuously variable) via handwheel, rebound damping adjustable via handwheel
- Suspension travel front / rear: 7.5 in./7.9 in. (190 mm / 200 mm)
- Wheelbase: 59.3 in. (1.507 mm)
- Castor: 3.9 in. (99.6 mm)
- Steering head angle: 64.5 deg.
- Wheels: Cast aluminum wheels
- Rim, front: 3.00 x 19 in.
- Rim, rear: 4.50 x 17 in.
- Tires, front: 120/70 R 19
- Tires, rear: 170/60 R 17
- Brake, front: Dual floating discs, diameter 305 mm, 4-piston radial calipers
- Brake, rear: Single disc, diameter 276 mm, double-piston floating caliper
- ABS: Standard BMW Motorrad integral ABS (part-integral), can be switched off for off road riding
- Length: 87.0 in. (2.210 mm)
- Width (incl. mirrors): 37.5 in. (953 mm)
- Height (excl. mirrors): 57.1 in. (1.450 mm)
- Seat height, unladen weight: 33.5 / 34.3 in. (low seat 32.3 / 33.1 in., lowered suspension 31.1 / 31.9 in. (OE))
- Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled: 525 lb. (238 kg)
- Permitted total weight: 992 lb. (450 kg)
- Payload (with standard equipment): 467 lb. (212 kg)
- Usable tank volume: 5.3 gal.
- Reserve: approx. 1 gal.